Tweet What?

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, November 17, 2010

    Happy birthday! We bought you a house.


    Well, we didn't really. But we did move out of our condo (sniff), moved in with my parents (!), and closed on a house a week later. In that week Rory turned one, and on his birthday he stayed up way too late and mushed his cupcake. Which I then had to stuff some in his mouth. We also had lobster & corn, and he liked petting the lobsters and carrying around the corn--very tactile!

    Two-plus months later, we are still at my parents' house while we renovate. From doing a redo of the bathroom to a total gut of the bathroom, kitchen, and replacing the window in the dining room with a sliding door and covering up the back door. Sounds easy, right? This is in combination with redoing the septic system (taking a few trees out in the process) and replacing the roof, which revealed some rotted siding that also needed replacing. Covering up the back door revealed--surprise!--more rot and a badly flashed porch attachments, so that came down too. (To our inspector's credit, he did say that we'd want to reinforce the deck, and there's no way he could have known about the siding.) Why not replace the bathroom and kitchen windows while we're at it? It's hard not to spiral into replacing A LOT of stuff.  I keep telling myself it'll be worth the wait, and soon it will be over.

    1 comment:

    Karen said...

    Hang in there! I know this stage - the waiting, the decisions, the cost - is so difficult, but now that I'm on the other side of it I can tell you it is definitely worth it. This too shall pass.